The holiday season is an appropriate time to think about all the gifts we’ve received in the form of family, friends, and opportunities. Appreciation also helps us enjoy what we have and to be genuinely thankful for all the ways life has served us to bring us thus far. The more gratitude we express, the more we help to make the world a better place—and attract more joy and love into our lives. So here are 50 authentic ways to express gratitude during the holidays and make the most of this season:
1. Give someone a genuine compliment.
2. Say thank you for every act of service received.
3. Give a hug.
4. Smile at someone new.
5. Say grace before and after meals.
6. Offer to help someone out with a difficult task.
7. Donate money to a note-worthy cause.
8. Bake holiday goodies for a lonely neighbor.
9. Invite someone new to your next party.
10. Think about all the good things that have happened to you in your life.
11. Take time to exercise to take care of the body you’re grateful for.
12. Create a list of all the people and things you are happy for in your life and display it where you can see it every single day.
13. Make an appointment with you, to do something just for you.
14. Tell your parents how much you love them.
15. Cook something special for the poor person down the street.
16. Treat your co-worker to lunch.
17. Switch off your mobile for an hour to simply be and enjoy the moment.
18. Plant a new fruit or vegetable seed in your garden.
19. Pretty yourself up because you’re worth it.
20. Offer to do extra chores or to help out more at home.
21. Reconnect with someone you haven’t spoken to in ages.
22. Help someone out when they’re struggling with heavy carry bags.
23. Open the door for someone.
24. Crack a joke and make someone laugh.
25. Cook breakfast in bed for the significant other in your life.
26. Offer a tip. Or, leave a larger tip than usual.
27. Give hand-written personalized thank you notes.
28. Offer to pick up the tab for coffee.
29. Be extra nice to the person who gets on your nerves the most.
30. Display patience in trying situations.
31. Show grace under fire.
32. Offer thanks to your ancestors.
33. Keep your home spic and span.
34. Take the time to really look into someone’s eyes and connect with them.
35. Journal one blessing every day.
36. Say you’re sorry and really mean it. Offer to make up for it.
37. Spend time with the sick or elderly.
38. Share in someone else’s happiness.
39. Do a random act of kindness for a stranger.
40. Be present for a grieving heart.
41. Volunteer to teach underprivileged children.
42. Show appreciation to your boss.
43. Write a positive review for a person who served you well.
44. Teach gratefulness to children and the importance of being thankful.
45. Inspire your friend to reach for the stars.
46. Encourage self-love in the broken hearted.
47. Make time to do something that you love every day.
48. Walk like a person of importance because you love you.
49. Breathe deeply in thankfulness for the ability to inhale fresh air.
50. Really listen to what someone else has to say without feeling the need to judge or correct.
An attitude of gratitude creates a happier, more fulfilling life not just during the holiday season, but all year long. Take the time to express gratitude today in honor of the gift of life you’ve received.